In the event of an accident involving another vehicle, please follow the following procedure:
Firstly, do not admit liability or offer to make any payment – it is the responsibility of the insurance company to work out who is at fault.
Secondly, obtain and write down the following information:
- Registration number of other vehicle/s
- Name, address and phone number of owner and their insurer
- Name, address, phone number, driver’s licence number of the other driver/s
- Date, time and place (street address) of accident
- Name, address and phone number of any witnesses
- Details of damage to other vehicles and/or property and if possible a diagram of the incident and photos of damage.
If you believe your vehicle is drivable, it is important that it is safe to do so. Before driving, check that all lights work, the mirrors are operational, the radiator, cooling, oil and fuel lines are undamaged, and tyres are undamaged.
If your vehicle is not drivable, have it towed to a panel beater of your choice.
Before you obtain a quote for repair, it is usually quicker for you to contact us so that we can discuss assessment requirements with you and get the insurer’s authority for repairs to commence. Please note the majority of insurers have their own panel of repairers you would be required to use.
It is always advisable to check the policy excess that is going to be applied and determine if you will lose your no-claim bonus and if so, what the penalty for this will be. You are then in the position to determine if it is economical to claim under your insurance policy.
It is the job of our claims consultants here at AB Insurance to deal with the insurance company and any third party and their insurance company. It is not necessary for you to deal with them directly so please forward any correspondence you have received to us and we will forward it to your insurer to respond to.